A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Saturday, December 31, 2011

#38: New Year's Eve Tradition

There are only a few hours left of 2011, and Kegan and I are settling in to ride out the year in the same fashion of last year. Cornish hens are roasting away in the oven, we'll break out our wedding china and wine glasses, then watch "It's a Wonderful Life" in our pajamas. Most likely we'll be asleep before the clock strikes midnight. I'll wake up tomorrow able to get in an early New Years Day run, energized to start 2012.

There's certainly something to be said for doing up New Year's big. I get why people want to be out and about, at parties, drinking, dancing, watching fireworks, staying up late and ushering in 2012 with a bang.  I had my years of crazy New Year's Eve celebrations, and at that time of my life that was exactly where I wanted to be. But I'm truly a homebody at heart. My New Years' Eves of late have harkened to a simpler time of my life, when I was younger and my brother Dennis and I would spend New Years Eve watching the Twilight Zone marathon. Looking back on all of my New Years Eves, those were amongst my favorites. That's what I'm looking to recapture, and this is more my speed now. I'm thankful to be building this tradition with Kegan. We might not have any confetti falling around us, but tonight I'm celebrating the end of 2011 and a quiet evening in with my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment