A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Monday, September 24, 2012

#262: "I am Thankful"

I stumbled across this simple article, which was published in 1999 in Family Circle magazine. It aligns quite closely with my project, and many of these sentiments are ones I have thought of myself. It's easy to be thankful for the positive blessings in our lives, but it can be more profound to think of the aspects we would normally describe as nuisances and see the blessings within them.

I am thankful for
...the mess to clean up after a party
because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
...the taxes I pay
because it means that I'm employed.
...the clothes that fit a little too snug
because it means I have enough to eat.
...my shadow who watches me work
because it means I am out in the sunshine.
...the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot
because it means I am capable of walking.
...all the complaining I hear about our government
because it means we have freedom of speech.
...that lady behind me in church who sings off key
because it means that I can hear.
...lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing
because it means I have a home.
...my huge heating bill
because it means that I am warm.
...weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
because it means that I have been productive.
...the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours
because it means that I am alive.


-Nancy J. Carmody

No comments:

Post a Comment