A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Friday, March 30, 2012

#123: Micah True

My colleague, Adam, popped in my classroom today to inform me of some troubling news. Micah True, an ultrarunner made famous in Born to Run, is missing. He went out for a 12 mile run Tuesday morning in New Mexico, and hasn't been seen since.

I felt immediate shock and concern, and have spent a lot of my prep period at work reading articles regarding the situation. One was from a website in the New Mexico area, and it listed 'Things You Can Do To Help.' A number of those were targeted at people looking to join the search and rescue operations, but the last tip resonated with me: "If you can spare a minute of your time for a prayer, a positive thought or for visualizing his safe return, please do it. Our friend needs all the support he can get right now."

I am thankful for Micah True. He is an inspiring man, one whose story I was captivated by when I read Born to Run. I am praying for him and his safe return, and hope that I can soon update this post with my thankfulness for that.

UPDATE: I am saddened to write that the body of Micah True was located on Saturday. Christopher McDougall, the author of Born to Run, posted on twitter that "Caballo had the only funeral he would have wanted: his friends spent days running in the wilderness in his honor." I, too, will run this week in his honor, and will aim to run and live as light as the white horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment