A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

#222: My Mother-In-Law

This past weekend my sister spent some time with Kegan's mother. When we talked Sunday night she expressed how awesome my mother-in-law is. I wholeheartedly agreed, and as we discussed her, I realized I don't tell her enough how much I love her or how lucky I am to have her in my life.

Kegan's mom is fiercely loyal-- as a mom, wife, daughter-in-law, sister, aunt, cousin, and friend. That loyalty is evident in many ways: your ability to confide in her, her consistency, her willingness to be there for you in any capacity. You know you can count on her-- and that's so vital in a family, and in life in general. I know if I am having an issue I can pick up the phone and call her for advice or just to vent...and she has a legion of people who consider her in that same regard.

Along with her loyalty, she has so many other amazing, lofty qualities: she's generous, kind,  forgiving, stands up for herself and what she believes in, is incredibly hard working, giving, determined, and selfless. I see many of these qualities in Kegan, and know that he counts his mother as one of his main role models, and one of his best friends...as do I. As much as she has built a strong character, she's also fun. You can always count on her for a laugh, she's lighthearted, and knows what matters in life: good meals, good time with friends and family, and a good shopping trip. Not to mention crunchy bread.

When you lose your mother, especially at a young age, as I did, you realize the value of a relationship one has with their mother. I have always admired Kegan's relationship with his mom...and hope that if I ever have a son I can build one similar to their's. But I am most thankful for the relationship that I have with her. She's graceful- in every definition of that word- and she has always shown me grace as her daughter-in-law. She's respected that the years since my mother have passed have not been easy-- that sometimes I had to pull away from maternal figures because it was too painful. She never took offense to that, or tried to make me feel otherwise...she just let it be. But in recent years, as time heals certain wounds, I haven't felt that way, and if anything, it's made me closer to Kegan's mom. I realize how lucky I am that I have a mom, still, in her, and that my mom is probably so happy to know that I have someone looking out for me, someone who is as good a mom as she is and who treats me as a daughter, not a daughter-in-law. When it comes to mother-in-laws, there's nothing better than that...and when it comes to mother-in-laws, there's no better one than mine.


My Mother-In-Law and me

No comments:

Post a Comment