A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Sunday, August 12, 2012

#228: NYC

I too often take for granted how awesome it is to live only a short while from one of the greatest-- if not the greatest-- cities in the world.  Potentially as a result of this project, I've been keenly aware of how much more grateful I should be for NYC with my recent trips into the city.

I've always wondered what it was like to see NYC through the eyes of a true tourist; I'm sure it's mesmerizing and overwhelming all at the same time. For me, it's just the city. But it's still an amazing place. Whether I'm going in for dinner, a night out with friends, to go shopping, hang out in Central Park, see a show or concert,  check out a museum, or walk around in the quieter neighborhoods, any reason for being in the city is apt to make for a memorable day.

WIth my father hailing from the Bronx and my mother from Brooklyn, NYC has always felt ingrained in my personal history. Having lived in New Jersey my entire life to date, I sometimes am disheartened to think that I haven't lived anywhere different or exciting. But then I just need to remind myself on any given day, at any given time, I'm only a short trip away from a city people dream to see just once in their lives. And that's pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment