A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Thursday, November 15, 2012

#306: Trish

For the past seven years I have been on my team at work with Trish, and I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to be mentored by and work with her for the entirety of my teaching career.

During my first year Trish had already been teaching for a number of years but she was new to our building. That, coupled with her unbelievably cheery disposition and willingness to help, caused me to gravitate to her more than any other colleague. Trish entertained my multitude of questions and concerns, always giving me sage advice and reassurance when I was unsure of myself. I spent many afternoons talking to her in her classroom, and she willingly gave of her time to guide me in my years as a novice teacher. Some of my fondest memories of the beginning of my teaching career were these moments with Trish...laughing with her, feeling bolstered by her support, and helping her correctly pronounce the names of our students. If I had to name who has been my mentor as a young educator, Trish is it.

Now that I am in year seven I don't need Trish as much as I used to...but it's because she was so consistently and continuously there for me when I did need her that I am where I am as an educator. And over the years our relationship has evolved from the mentor/mentee dynamic to one of friendship, and Trish is an amazing friend to have. I know few people who can talk as much as Tricia does, but I also know few people who listen as well as she does, either. I always love getting her perspective, be it on current world issues or our personal lives. She's a passionately loyal mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend and coworker, quick to put others in front of herself. I have oft been on the receiving end of her support and love. I may not spend afternoons in her classroom as much as I used to, but I am thankful for all of those days, that I've continued to call her a teammate, and that I have a dear friend in her now, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment