A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

#88: Phone Calls with Brianna

Unlike the stereotypical woman, I do not like to talk on the phone. Maybe this is due to the rise of email and texting, or my preference to spend time with someone and catch up in person (two contrasting means of communication, I realize). Of course I do like the occasional catch up phone call, but for the most part being on the phone regularly and for long stretches of time is not appealing to me. The exception, I think, are my phone calls with Brianna.

She's probably the friend with whom I talk most on the phone. We're really good at calling each other when we need advice or want to run something by someone. We both approach situations logically and with empathy, and in turn have become one another's "go-to". Beyond this, Brianna is just very conscientious. She calls on significant days, and is always reaching out, even to simply let you know that she's thinking of you.

Yesterday Brianna and I had one of our routine phone calls. It was nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary. But I hung up the phone with her and just felt good. It's always nice to hear from someone who is one of your best friends, someone who is reaffirming, someone who makes it evident that they care about you. Brianna can do this all in one call, and I am so grateful every time the phone rings and it's her name on the caller ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment