A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Monday, March 19, 2012

#112: A Good Day

Last Thursday I began the day overwhelmed. I had a doctor's appointment, a long list of chores to do around the house and errands to run. Once I got a run in and my stress dissipated, the day seemed to take a complete 180. The events of my day did not change, but my attitude about them did.

At the doctor's I was given a clean bill of health-- always a blessing. I focused on feeling productive as each of my chores were completed. My errands were easy and quickly executed, including a really pleasant shopping experience and getting 3 of 4 books I've been wanting to read from the library. Amidst my euphoria of this mundane but good day, I couldn't help but be humored by the juxtaposition of my attitudes, which had rapidly evolved over the course of just a few hours. The cause, I believe, is this very project.

Every day that I post is colored positively by the moments I spend reflecting on what I am specifically thankful for on that day. When I have time to reread previous posts or just look at the left side of the screen with all of my 'categories' of thankfulness I am overwhelmed by the evidence of just how wonderful my life truly is. Thursday, though, I could feel the cultivation of this project in my mood and mindset. I'm recognizing how my perspective is changing as a result-- and I can't help but wonder if it's that age old belief that how you feel within is reflected in your life externally. It's possible that, once I took a moment to breathe, relax, and recognize that I shouldn't see the day as one burden after another but one blessing after another, the day itself became a good one. My former self would have just gotten through the day overwhelmed. But now, 100+ days into a Thankfulness Project, I realize that  Thursday was a good day. Sure it was busy, but it was still good...as most days are. The Thankfulness Project is helping me see and live that understanding, more resolutely with each passing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment