A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Saturday, March 17, 2012

#111: St. Patrick's Day

My father's parents immigrated from Ireland when they were both young to start their lives in America. I did not know my paternal grandmother, but my grandfather had a slight Irish accent that I loved hearing. My Irish heritage is an underlying but influential and appreciated aspect of my identity. In fact, one of the reasons I have yet to take my husband's last name is because I would lose my Irish surname, and that is really important to me. I attribute my fierce loyalty, proud stubbornness and irrational superstitions to my heritage. St. Patrick's Day has always been a day that I recognize, even if it's just momentarily, how proud I am to be Irish. 

"May the rose rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment