A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Sunday, April 1, 2012

#127: Spring Break

One of the major perks of teaching is the built-in vacations. Tomorrow is the official first day of my Spring Break, and I have been looking forward to it for quite some time. I am always disheartened by the often cited fact that many Americans do not take all of their vacation days off of work. Even if you aren't going away on a literal vacation, I still think it is so important to take time off from your job. Our lives can be so dominated by our work, it's valuable to make an effort to not work. We deserve the break; we deserve the chance to make time for the other facets of our lives. And, ironically, I often find I am a better teacher for taking breaks from my teaching life-- as most people are probably also rejuvenated for their jobs once they get some time away from it. So, on a Sunday evening when I would normally be winding up for my work week ahead, I am appreciative that I am, instead, beginning to wind down for a well-deserved, much anticipated week off.

No comments:

Post a Comment