A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Thursday, August 2, 2012

#211: Having Doors Held

Since I was little, I've always been prone to hold doors for others. This started mostly from being a socially awkward child, who would hold the breezeway doors after mass and not know how to pass it off to someone else. Once I became used to holding doors for quite a few people, I almost became compulsive about it. There are times when someone is significantly behind me, but the mere sight of them heading my way results in me holding the door for them. Sometimes this forces them into a jog, and I almost feel like I am inconveniencing them by holding the door rather than not!

Because I am such a stickler for the holding of doors for others, I am easily annoyed by people who don't hold doors for me, and very appreciative of those who do. In my opinion, not holding doors is inconsiderate, while holding doors is a kind gesture-- a sign that in these times of introversion and self involvement, we as a society still have manners, can still be considerate.

Today I was pushing a cart out of Target and the automatic doors weren't working. I had to maneuver a way to simultaneously hold open the door and get my cart, naturally filled with bulky items, out of the store. Just as I was about to perform an acrobatic feat, I heard a voice behind me, "Let me get that for you." A woman walked away from her cart in order to help. She held it for me, and then I returned the favor and held the door open so she could get herself out. We smiled at each other, grateful to have come across one another's paths.

Then, of course, a man with a single bag walked up to the automatic doors and they worked for him.

The woman and I looked at each other and laughed, and then parted ways. Today I'm thankful this woman was gracious enough to help me with the door, and as insignificant as it may seem, I am thankful for all the doors ever held for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment