A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Sunday, August 26, 2012

#241: My Flynn Family

Yesterday I had the chance to spend time with some of my extended family. My cousin Ellen was gracious enough to open up her home to the lot of us, so we gathered together there for what was a really wonderful day. Throughout it, I couldn't help but think how thankful I am for my Flynn family.

My Aunt Peggy is my dad's sister, and she is married to my Uncle Mike. My Uncle Mike has always been a constant, quiet presence in our family. He exudes a sense of calm, and is always good for a great one-liner. My Aunt Peggy is one of the most thoughtful people I know. She is unbelievably considerate and kind, a source of great love and warmth throughout my life. One of the aspects I admire most about her, my Aunt Peggy has always sent my father and our family eloquent, honest, comforting cards and letters honoring the memory of my mother. Aunt Peggy's words have brought great solace to me throughout my life, and I will never be able to thank her enough for her love and support. She also has the feminine version of my dad's laugh, which is always great to hear booming throughout a home.

Like father and mother is daughter. My cousin Ellen is a true blend of her parents. She has her father's quiet grace and her mother's warm heart. For various events throughout my life Ellen will send me thoughtful gifts and warm notes, and I am always overwhelmed by her generosity. Ellen's brought into our family a troop of awesome men, in the form of her husband and three boys, and I look forward to our families growing up together.

My Flynn family is so wonderful. I have warm memories of gatherings at my Aunt Peggy's home, where my grandparents lived, throughout my childhood. You know you are amongst those you love the most, amongst those you can be yourself with the most, when their homes feel like an extension of your own. Yesterday was a really great day, and reminds me how thankful I am for all of the family in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment