A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

#264: Flexibility

With a day off from work today, I had the intention of getting a lot of chores completed: grocery shopping, a stop at the DMV, get an oil change, and have my car inspected. In addition my brother and sister-in-law would be in town visiting my father, and my friend Jamie reached out to me to get coffee; I wanted to meet up with all of them, and was slightly stressing out about how I would get it all in. This stress, coupled with the fact that I simply woke up feeling run down, started me off on the wrong foot this morning.

Kegan worked from home today, so I was venting to him about how I didn't know how I would get it all done. He let me rant, and then simply said, "You know this is a day off. You should enjoy it. Don't stress about the chores--- none of that has to happen today. We can tackle that stuff over the weekend...be reasonable, and spend the day doing what you want."

My husband's usual approach to chores and his job would put the Energizer Bunny to shame, while I am certainly the more laid back one. This role reversal highlighted to me how unnecessarily stressed I was about the fullness of my day. Kegan was saying to me what I always say to him, that there are very few things we ever have to do, always other times that might be better-- or when we might feel better-- doing them. It was refreshing to hear my own advice echoed to me, to recognize the importance and value of flexibility. I wasn't feeling great, and I had nicer ways to spend my time then sitting at the DMV. So instead of chores I took a nap to refresh my energy, went to my dad's to see my family, and met Jamie for coffee. A much nicer, calmer day off then the one that I woke up intending to have. I'm grateful that I was reminded to be flexible today...it's something we should all remember to be, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment