A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Thursday, December 1, 2011

#8: The Countdown to Christmas

December 1st begins the official countdown to Christmas, and today I am thankful that for the next few weeks I will be anticipating the 24th and the 25th. There are so many fun Christmas plans in the coming weeks, and I look forward to these as much as to the holiday itself. Actually, one of the main concepts of Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project (whose title I did not copy-- I thought of this before I learned of that book, I swear!) is that we often get as much (if not more) happiness from the anticipation of an event than the event itself. This is often true for me when, come Christmas night, I feel a little sad that "it's all over." And so, to make the most of the holidays, I am going to invest myself fully in every Christmas plan-- the parties, the movies, the cookie baking-- and be thankful for all of those moments. That way, on this year's Christmas evening, it won't feel "over", but extremely well-spent.

Speaking of counting down to Christmas...this year I get to do that literally with this fun chocolate countdown calendar my sister gave me! She so often gives me thoughtful, fun gifts like this, and so today I am also thankful for my generous sister, Liz, who's helping me countdown to Christmas.

Countdown Candy Calendar, featuring a snowman who is apparently a terrible skier.

No comments:

Post a Comment