A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Thursday, January 19, 2012

#57: Stephen King

I'm currently reading King's latest novel, 11/22/63, and am reminded of how much I admire him as an author. His books are always so engaging, so easy to get lost in. I had the type of morning where I didn't want to get out of bed and go anywhere...just wanted to stay and read the day away. As an aspiring writer myself, I admire King's ability to craft an involved, sensational plot with eerily realistic characters, despite their unrealistic circumstances, and make a page-turner intellectually stimulating.

A few of my students have been reading a ton of Stephen King this year, and their interest in reading in general has soared ever since, so I am grateful for that, as well. One student who's always been a bit withdrawn and distant has been coming up to my desk before class starts everyday this week to talk about the novel he's reading. It's nice to have made a connection with him over an author we both like. I love when kids find the book that makes them a reader, and for this particular student it's King's work that has done that.

He also wrote "The Body", which the movie Stand By Me is based on. That is one of my all time favorite movies. In 8th grade I watched it almost every week for a number of months, and it's one of the few films I never tire of. I will never tire of King's work, in general, and appreciate it for its prolific and masterful nature, murderous clowns and all.


No comments:

Post a Comment