A personal initiative to live more appreciatively

Monday, May 28, 2012

#176: Memorial Day

Memorial Day is one of our most significant national holidays, and yet is observed quite casually. For most people, today marks the unofficial start of summer, a day out of work to spend barbequeing with family and friends, or an escape down the shore. These are, all, wonderful. But the holiday is remiss if one does not stop and think about what it actually represents: a day to honor and respect the men and women who, throughout our history, have dedicated and given their lives for the freedom and well being of America.

There is no more important job than that of a serviceman or woman. I cannot put into words how thankful I am for the sacrifices made by the armed forces and their families, who've served and sacrificed in their own way. Our freedom as a nation-- my freedom, as an individual-- is invaluable, but not without cost. I am always heartbroken to hear of a death in the military; these men and women knew nothing of my existence, and yet because they gave their life in service of our country, they gave their lives, in part, for me. There is nothing grander in life to be thankful for than that.

To my readers-- those who've served or are the family members of those who serve-- I don't thank you enough for your sacrifices. This post is my feeble attempt to express what is inexpressible. No words or breadth of meaning will ever be able to express the depth of my gratitude and appreciation. You are honored, today especially, but truly everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment